2020 Copyright ASCE Hawaii Section
Civil Engineer II
Under the general supervision of a higher-level technical employee, the Engineer II performs general civil engineering work, carrying out research, design calculations, developing technical details, conducting site observation visits, and preparing design documents and engineering reports. Application of general knowledge of physical sciences, mathematics, and underlying civil engineering and specialized knowledge of fluid mechanics, hydraulics, hydrology, pipe design, wastewater collection and treatment, water distribution and treatment, transportation, and surveying.
- Performs Civil CAD drafting and design using AutoCAD and Civil 3D.
- Effectively communicates with team members.
- Able to follow written/oral instructions; complete work in a timely manner.
- Assists licensed civil engineers with project design work by conducting studies, research, and compiling figures.
- Learns the principles, techniques, laws, methodology and processes pertinent to civil engineering work.
- Becomes familiar with the location and use of reference and resource materials, files, and related records.
- Assists in the design of site grading, culverts, pipelines, drainage improvements, sewers, water systems, sidewalks, highways,
subdivisions, and building site layout by checking applicable design standards and regulations, completing computations, preparing
construction plans, developing details, and coordinating on preparing final working drawings and material specifications.
- Prepares designs for simple to moderately complex engineering projects.
- Reviews construction contractor submittals materials for conformance to specifications.
- Makes field measurements and obtains design data.
- Prepares quantity take-offs and prepares opinions of probable construction costs.
- Assists in the preparation of contract documents, specifications, and plans for projects.
- Assists in preparing engineering reports and studies.
- Visits project sites and attends meetings to gain information and knowledge for the development and completion of projects assigned.
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering and land surveying and the methods and equipment used in
- Ability to perform design and drafting assignments using AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Ability to interpret plans, specifications, land descriptions, and contract requirements.
- Ability to do mathematical computations as applied to engineering problems.
- Ability to effectively use computer applications such as CAD programs, spreadsheets, word-processing, email, and database software.
- Ability to do simple to moderately complex design work.
- Ability to prepare maps, plans, profiles and cross-sections.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills required; ability to interface well and work effectively in a team
environment; willingness to learn and support project management activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering from an accredited college or university required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering exam.
- Valid driver’s license required
- Minimum of one year of work experience in the field of civil engineering.
- Previous internship or work experience in a design engineering firm preferable.
To apply please visit our careers page on our website at https://bchdesign.com/careers/
Belt Collins Hawaii is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
Posted November 12, 2019