2020 Copyright ASCE Hawaii Section
Lead Engineer (Assistant RE) - Honolulu
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving—whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Stantec’s Transportation practice has an immediate opportunity for a highly motivated Assistant Resident Engineer to spearhead the resolution of technical and coordination matters.
Your Key Responsibilities
- The Lead Engineer (Assistant RE) oversees the activities of major public works transportation project focusing on utility infrastructure relocations including high, medium and low voltage electrical systems; telecommunications and cable TV; traffic signals and street lighting; water, sewer, gas and drainage; and civil in a congested urban corridor.
- The Lead Engineer (Assistant RE) coordinates with the technical representatives on the project team, the design/build and construction contractors as well as third-party stakeholders.
- The Lead Engineer (Assistant RE) will verify that the Contractor's processes and deliverables are structured to ensure that activities are in compliance with contract documents, governmental regulations, environmental and cultural commitments and safety standards.
- Coordinates complex utility engineering design and construction tasks with the construction team and with 3rd party owners on various projects including bridges, airports, roadways, and transit projects.
- Assisting the Changes and Claims Engineer with monitoring and facilitating the change process is a critical component of the Lead Engineer's responsibility to resolve issues.
- Prepares and coordinates the project deliverables and documents including project reports to the client, tracking and communicating production, cost and schedule reporting; specification reviews and recommendations; and production of engineering documents.
- Provide delivery of daily inspector reports in accordance with clients’ requirements Act as liaison to design staff to respond to Contractors’ RFIs and review of drawings.
- Responsible for overall site safety, permit status compliance and coordination with other agencies.
- Provides technical review of construction plans and specifications and project changes for constructability and practicality.
- Be able to assist Contractor with field layout of sidewalks and ramps during construction to ensure compliance with ADA.
- Responsible for record keeping, general correspondence, compiling and drafting of required reports and deliverables.
- Monitors Contractor performance, quality, schedule, overall responsiveness and effectiveness.
- Exerts influence over Contractors to maintain project goals regarding cost, schedule, quality, etc.
- Manages the Contractor monthly payment process and recommends appropriate adjustments as necessary to manage the Contractor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledgeable of Code of Federal and State of Hawaii regulations and Administrative Rules (HAR)
- Proficient team leadership of multi-disciplined utilities infrastructure construction. Technically proficient in all relevant areas of design and construction and understanding of various methods.
- Experience and knowledge of managing multi-disciplined contractors for heavy civil and major public works utilities construction projects.
- Proficient knowledge of design, site development, and all types of public works, civil and utilities infrastructure design and construction.
- Highly effective in building and maintaining client relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently when required.
- Position is a field position located in the project office in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Must be committed to zero safety incidents.
- Experience and knowledge of P6 scheduling software.
- Experience and knowledge of various estimating and project management software.
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
- Valid Class C driver’s license.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering or related field preferred. Must have a Hawaii PE or licensed contractor preferred and a minimum of 12 years of construction experience in the field focused on civil works infrastructure projects.
Typical office environment working with computers at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
To view this job opening and to apply online, please go to https://bit.ly/3gxi8xo.
Posted August 7, 2020