Construction Compliance Monitor/Inspection - Honolulu
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving—whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Stantec is actively seeking qualified candidates for a full-time Construction Inspector to join our growing Transportation practice. The successful candidate will work on challenging and diverse tasks in a consulting and construction management role that will require application of technical skills, project delivery, and leadership for construction projects. These projects consist of transit, highway, and other related infrastructure. This exciting opportunity provides excellent career growth opportunities in the Transportation practice.
Your role will be to assist the client, project team and other technical consultants to observe and record activities associated with the Contractor’s construction progress in a fast-paced environment. The selected candidate will need to be self-directed, capable of independent tasks as well as supporting multidiscipline complex teams, and should demonstrate a passion for involvement in the transportation infrastructure industry with an enthusiasm for successful completion of projects that meet our clients’ needs.
Your Key Responsibilities
- General responsibilities include observation and documentation of construction work performed for major utility infrastructure relocations including high, medium and low voltage electrical systems; telecommunications and cable TV; traffic signals and street lighting; water, sewer, gas and drainage; and civil works in a congested urban corridor.
- Review of contractor requisitions for payment; documentation of work, as constructed; preparation of daily reports; and attendance at progress meetings.
- Serve as daily contact with the integrated team with project-related questions, issues and resolution.
- Monitoring, recording and inspecting progress on construction projects, performing quality assurance inspections to achieve compliance
with contract plans and specification on all phases of construction.
- Demonstrated construction observation experience involving transit, highway, structural, and/or roadway/civil-site work.
- Making substantial completion and final-completion statements.
- Consistently maintain client satisfaction that results in potential opportunities and excellent Company references.
- Follow safe work practices and adhere to company guidelines and policies for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Must understand construction works for major utility infrastructure relocations including high, medium and low voltage electrical systems;
telecommunications and cable TV; traffic signals and street lighting; water, sewer, gas and drainage; and civil works in a congested urban
- Must possess the ability read and interpret plans and specifications to effectively communicate with contractors and report construction
progress to the Lead Engineers and Lead Inspectors on a daily basis.
- Must be able to effectively produce and communicate construction progress through detailed daily reports.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Must have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Possess good organizational skills.
- Must be familiar with underground utility construction methods: trench stabilization, dewatering, backfilling and compaction of utility
trenches and pavement/surface restoration.
- Ability to make decisions on projects based on the design criteria of engineering.
- Self-starter can work independently and knows how to get along with contractors on a project site.
- Construction management training very beneficial.
- OSHA 10 training and Confined Space Entry certification beneficial.
- Good driving record and valid driver’s license required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering or related field preferred. Must have a minimum of 8 years of construction
experience in the field with the contractor or as an owner’s representative.
Typical office environment working with computers at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
To view this job opening and to apply online, please go to https://bit.ly/2XUHKhh.
Posted April 21, 2020
2020 Copyright ASCE Hawaii Section