2020 Copyright ASCE Hawaii Section
Civil Engineer I
Under the general supervision of a higher level technical employee, the Civil Engineer I performs general civil engineering work, carrying out design calculations, developing technical details, conducting site observation visits, and preparing designs documents and engineering reports. Application of general knowledge of physical sciences, mathematics and underlying civil engineering, and specialized knowledge of fluid mechanics, hydraulics, hydrology, pipe design, wastewater collection and treatment, water distribution and treatment, transportation, and surveying.
- Performs Civil CADD (computer aided drafting and design) using AutoCAD and Civil 3D; effectively communicate with team members;
able to follow written/oral instructions; complete work in a timely manner; assist licensed civil engineers with project design work by
conducting studies and research, and compiling figures.
- Learns the principles, techniques, laws, methodology and processes pertinent to civil engineering work.
- Becomes familiar with the location and use of reference and resource materials, files and related records.
- Assists in the design of site grading, culverts, pipelines, drainage improvements, sewers, water systems, sidewalks, highways and
building site layout by checking applicable design standards and regulations, completing computations, preparing construction plans,
developing details, and coordinating on preparing final working drawings and material specifications.
- Prepares designs for simple to moderately complex engineering projects.
- Reviews construction contractor submittals materials for conformance to specifications.
- Makes field measurements and obtains design data.
- Prepares quantity take-offs and prepares opinions of probable construction costs.
- Assists in the preparation of contract documents, specifications and plans for projects.
- Assists in preparing engineering reports and studies.
- Visits project sites and attends meetings to gain information and knowledge for the development and completion of projects assigned.
- Interacts with staff, project design teams, general public, officials, contractors and community organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Monday through Friday (office hours 7:30 am to 4:30 pm). Some evenings and weekends as needed
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering, land surveying; and the methods and equipment used in construction;
ability to perform designing and drafting assignments using AutoCAD Civil 3D; ability to interpret specification and contract requirements;
ability to do mathematical computations as applied to engineering problems; ability to effectively use computer applications such as CAD
programs, spreadsheets, word processing, email and database software
- Ability to do engineering drafting and simple to moderately complex design work; interpret plans, specifications and land descriptions;
prepare maps, plans, profiles and cross-sections.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills required; ability to interface well and work effectively in a
team environment; willingness to learn and support project management activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering exam preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required
- Previous internship or work experience in a design engineering firm preferable.
To apply please visit our careers page on our website at https://bchdesign.com/careers/
Belt Collins Hawaii is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
Posted April 21, 2020